The Adjective in Spanish agrees with the noun it qualifies, in genderand number, as--El periodico italiano: The Italian newspaper.La prensa americana: The American press.
It generally _follows the nouns_ as in the above examples, althoughexceptions will be found, _e.g._, when the adjective recalls to our minda quality which _is already known to belong to it_, it generallyprecedes the noun, as--He visto sus hermosas flores: I have seen his beautiful flowers.[30]Adjectives form their plural in the same way as nouns.
[Footnote 30: His flowers are known (or supposed) to be beautiful, beforewe say it.]
=Formation of the Feminine of Adjectives=.
Adjectives ending in _O_ change _O_ into =A=, as--
El sombrero blanco: The white hat.La casaca blanca: The white coat.
Adjectives of NATIONALITY which end in a consonant add =A= to form thefeminine, as--
El sastre frances: The French tailor.La modista francesa: The French milliner.
Adjectives ending in _N_ add =A= for the feminine, as--
Un hombre socarron: A sly or cunning man.Una sonrisa socarrona: A cunning smile.
EXCEPT Joven (young), Comun (common), and Ruin (base, sordid), which donot change for the feminine.
Adjectives ending in _or_ add =A= to form the feminine, as--
Un comerciante emprendedor: An enterprising merchant.Una casa emprendedora: An enterprising firm.
EXCEPT =Comparative= adjectives ending in _or_, as Mejor (better), Peor(worse), which do not change for the feminine.
There are a very few adjectives ending in _ete_ and _ote_. These changeinto =eta= and =ota= for the feminine.
Other adjectives do not change.
Ser[31] (to be). -------------------Estar[32] (to be).
Pres. Part._, Siendo (being) -------_Pres. Part._, Estando (being)
_Past Part._, Sido (been) ---------_Past Part._, Estado (been)
_Pres. Tense, Indic. Mood_. -------Pres. Tense, Indic. Mood_.
Soy (I am), etc. -Somos ------------Estoy (I am), etc. -Estamos
Eres------------Sois ---------------Estas-------------Estais
Es--------------Son ----------------Esta---------------Estan
_Imperf. Tense, Indic. Mood_ -----_Imperf. Tense, Indic. Mood_.
Era (I was), etc. Eramos-------------Estaba (I was) etc. Estabamos
Eras ------------Erais---------------Estabas----------Estabais
Era-------------Eran ---------------Estaba----------Estaban
_Past Def. Tense, Indic. Mood. --_Past Def. Tense, Indic. Mood._
Fui (I was), etc. ----Fuimos----------Estuve (I was), etc. Estuvimos
Fuiste --------------Fuisteis --------Estuviste ----------Estuvisteis
Fue ----------------Fueron ---------Estuvo -------------Estuvieron
[Footnote 31: =Ser= is used--
(1) To form the Passive voice as, Le amo (I love him), Soy amado de el(I am loved by him).
(2) To denote an inherent quality, viz., forming part and parcel withthe subject, as Este hombre es habil (this man is clever).]
[Footnote 32: Estar is used--
(1) To denote state in locality, viz., _to be in a place_, as Estoy aqui(I am here), Manchester esta en Inglaterra (Manchester is in England)
(2) To denote condition (as opposed to an inherent quality), as Estehombre esta cansado (this man is tired).]
VOCABULARY.
=activo=, active
=ahora=, now
=un ano=, a year
=aquel, ese= (_m._), that
=aquella, esa= (_f._), that=bayeta=, baize
=celebre=, celebrated
=cima=, top
=criados=, men-servants=criadas=, maid-servants
=el dia=, the day
=ejercito=, army
=encuadernado=, bound, (of books)
=escritorio=, writing-desk
=los fosforos=, the matches
=Gales=, Wales
=juventud=, youth, young age.
=el lacre=, the sealing-wax
=lectura=, reading
=limpiar=, to clean
=limpio=, clean
=mayormente=, especially
=medico=, doctor
=el monte=, the mountain
=la nieve=, the snow
=por tanto=, therefore
=puerta=, door
=siempre=, always
=sincero=, sincere
=soldado=, soldier
=terciopelo=, velvet
=vela=, candle
=ventana=, window
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment